Monday, February 14, 2011

A Fictional Valentine's Celebration!

Warning! Ooey-Gooey-ness follows!

I got this idea from my new friend Brianne (her blog is therewebe.blogspot.com). She made a list of her favorite couples in honor of Valentine's Day, and since I wasn't doing anything else to celebrate the holiday of love, I figured I would write my own. With one small twist. None of the couples on my list are real people...

Yep, story of my life. But hey! This is a blog about fiction, right?

So here are my favorite couples in several different categories:

My Ideal Couple:

Walter & Ashley from the Dragons In Our Midst Books are about as perfect a couple as could possibly exist (except for the fact that she's two years older than him, but whatever). Walter is hilarious throughout the books, but really matures as the series goes on. They start off their relationship not on a BAD foot, but not really on a good one either. Their banter is the best thing about the entire series... As I think you'll find in many of the couples on this list, banter is a must. :)

Sweetest Couple in the History of the World:

Is this one kind of cheesy? Yes. But Prince Arthur and Guinevere from the BBC's Merlin show are just amazing. Taking the traditional legend (where Guinevere is a princess from a neighboring kingdom) and turning it on its ear, Gwen is a servant in Camelot in the BBC's show. Arthur falls for her, but has to keep it a secret, as his father would either have her executed or banished, if he found out. Gwen honestly makes Arthur a better person. She shows him a perspective that he never experienced, growing up in wealth and privilege. Yep, they're perfect together, and there's nothing anyone can say to make me think otherwise.

Current Overall Favorite Couple:

I know not everyone likes them, and they are often made fun of *cough*Rachel*cough*, but I really do adore Peeta and Katniss. And if you don't know what they're from, look it up. I pretty much can't wait until they cast them in the movie, and if they mess it up, I will be furious. Peeta and Katniss are amazing together and their story is so beautiful (in a really horrific sort of way). Anyway, I love them.

Favorite Couple that I Don't Want to be a 'Couple':

Remember what I said about banter? Helen Magnus and Nikola Tesla from Syfy's Sanctuary have the most wonderful banter ever! He's completely in love with her and she likes him, too, but I'm not sure if I actually want them to get together. It's almost better when they are not getting along. I don't think I could handle it if Tesla permanently gave up his dream of ruling the world, and Helen gave up trying to stop him... (Of note, these two are the oldest couple on my list...they're both over 130 :)

Favorite Couple Involving a Nerd:

Connor has really matured over the four seasons of Primeval, and Abby has a lot to do with that. But he's still a nerd underneath. These two are just adorable together, especially when Connor's being a dork! And a bonus? The actor and actress are engaged in real life!

Favorite Couple I Forget About (For Some Reason):

I don't know why I don't remember Chuck and Sarah more quickly. Seriously, they're on one of my favorite shows, Chuck, and yet they don't come immediately to mind? Still, I do think they're a wonderful couple. I'm so glad the writers have let their relationship evolve, instead of playing out the eternal will they/won't they thing forever. They're actually engaged!!! I hope they pull off a wedding before the show gets canceled...

Favorite Couple that Makes Me Want to Rip My Hair Out:

Logan and Veronica (from Veronica Mars) are the most obnoxious couple ever. Seriously, if they were trying to fight/make each other insane, I don't think they could do a better job. Logan in general makes me want to yank my hair out, because he's such a dodo-brain, but Veronica should know better. They are completely in love with each other, they just have too many issues to see it.

Favorite Animated Couple:

Ok, this one is a tie between Flynn and Rapunzel from Tangled, and Beauty and the Beast from Beauty and the Beast. :) Beauty and the Beast has always been my favorite Disney movie, and I really can't bear to see them replaced, but Tangled was sooo good! Flynn and Rapunzel were too cute for words. So, they're tied.

There you have it folks! If you made it through that, take a cyber-cookie. I will now swear off all mushi-ness until next Valentine's Day...

2 comments:

  1. Oh, man! This is such a fun post. I love the twist you incorporated into yours, Madi. I'm familiar with a couple of the couples (haha) you mentioned... but I still haven't seen Tangled yet. I want to, and I will *have* to. Happy V-day, Madison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. *cough, cough*

    I will let your Peeta and Katniss remark slide. :) I'm a month behind in my blog reading...but better late than never. You forgot the most important couple!
    Most Forbidden Couple:

    Damon Salvatore and Elena Gilbert from Vampire Diaries.

    *Sigh* I think it's those eyes...

    http://vampirediariesfansite.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/56.jpg

    ReplyDelete