Monday, November 1, 2010

Nanowrimo Day 1

So, since I've decided to write a 50,000 word novel this month, I thought it would be a good idea to blog about it. That way, I could spend valuable writing time typing words that don't count towards my goal! Booyah!

Day 1 of Nano is almost over, but it honestly feels more like Day 2. I was insane last night, and attended the Boise Nanowrimo Kickoff Party, which went until two in the morning. Yes, I took a nap, today. Despite the fact that I was tired today, I was glad I went to the Kickoff. Mostly because, when midnight struck, I found myself writing in from the point of view of a character who was only interested in throwing himself a pity-party. Two pages in, and I was completely depressed about how this storyline was going. What had seemed like a complelling plot, was actually more angsty than Twilight.

That is where my fellow writers came to my rescue. Per their suggestions, I simply had my character abducted by an Asian ninja woman, and hit on the head with a brick. Then I moved to another storyline. Hopefully these measures will ensure that my character is less emo when I return to him. :s

Ok, enough words here. I managed to get over 2000 last night (a whole 100 of which, might actually be decent), and I hope to get a few more done tonight. Before I go, I will share a few sentences-samples of my worst and best writing from last night.

Worst Sentences: He liked to imagine it was his father's coat. Or at least, he had when he had cared.

Best Sentences: That was the worst of it. Watching the two of them have something she could never share. She sometimes picked up his books, just to feel the pages and gaze at the words which were printed onto the page, as if by magic.

Now leave me some encouraging comments, people! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog. I really liked your Best Sentence. It gives a lot of emotions within those three sentences. Although you may compare your writing to a series such as Twilight, (that is a good thing) because there is something in that series that people gravitate to..emotions that people don't experience in their day-to-day life that they like to live through in those books. Keep up the good work Maddi. Cant wait to read your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, you could totally work this! just copy and paste from your blog into your story, and voila! the words still count! Just working it into the story would be the issue...

    ReplyDelete